Monday, June 18, 2007

Room to Work

Loving them...tested me...at times...in ways...I never imagined.

I'd never before witnessed so much anger trapped in so many small children. I'd never been so frustrated with all of them...and loved them at the same time. I'd never been yelled at...put down...or disrespected so continually and willingly went back for more.
I'd never shown love to a child...and realized from their eyes it was perhaps the first time they'd received it...I'd never given so many hugs...or got to love on so many children...I'd never seen a child's life transformed.
Then I went to camp.

My heart smiled each time I witnessed these kids being kids. In the canoe...catching the fish...playing the games. Sometimes you had to steal quick glances for the moment would pass...but every moment was worth it. Camp is beautiful...a refuge...away from the concrete...away from the violence...away.

What transforms a child...full of hate...making threats...hating camp...hating us...to requesting a bible...and weeping because she doesn't want to go home? I think it is simply making room for God to work...and there's a lot of room...at camp.

No comments: