Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Doorways of the Lord

I was recently sent a missionary letter from a lady who is preparing to forgo her corporate job to seek a life in ministry. This requires a move home from her current career assignment in Germany. She shared a picture and her reflections of a sculpture on the streets of Hamburg...

"While I don‘t know the meaning the artist intended, it visualizes the doorways of our walk with the Lord so perfectly that I had to take a picture of it. Sitting on a bench on the inside of the doorway is a woman, her face covered in red paint. She reminds me that, at any time, we can choose to sit down and wait for the Lord. The Lord will not leave us nor will He forsake us, we are covered in the blood of the Lamb. Coming towards us in the picture is another woman, she has been bought by the blood of the Lamb and she has chosen to stand up and walk through the doorway. Her hand touching the frame indicates to me that she is unsure of what is coming next, yet her eyes are focused forward, her face like flint. She knows that to sit down would mean to settle for less than God‘s plan and purpose for her life."

When I first read her portrayal of the piece, perhaps pride crept up for a moment as I imagined being the woman willing to walk through the doorway. But if I am honest, I must admit...I have been both. And more recently I have been the woman sitting down.

But not long ago, I was the woman walking through the doorway. A woman who had her beliefs and world views so drastically altered since taking her first steps that she needed a moment of rest..."enough Lord...you've brought me far enough for now...I need to sit down here and linger awhile." And in God's perfect timing and grace...He allowed her.

But if you remain founded in the Word and open to the will of God, something innately stirs you to your feet again. I've recently found myself reestablished in my beliefs, stronger in faith, and ready to stand. Once again, I walk through that doorway, hand touching the frame, eyes focussed forward...not willing to sit down and settle for less than God's plan and purpose for my life.

1 comment:

Lost in a Gaze said...

Hmmm, that is so beautiful. :)

I was looking for people interested in youth ministry and stumbled onto your blog page. What a blessing. Thank you!