Thursday, June 19, 2008

Trials of a new kind

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

The first major testing and trial period I faced in this ministry was undoubtedly one of building perseverance and endurance. Perhaps for no other gain, I feel like I was drug through the fire to see if I would endure. I recently attended the Urban Youth Worker's Conference in California where we focused on "Living the Legacy" - as I skim through my notes, I stumble across the following thought, "You can not earn a legacy until you've passed consistency." Perhaps a bit convicting as I review my life. However, I still remember with a sweet smile the day I woke up and felt the burden of that trial lifted. I'm not suggesting that my work is finished or my endurance is complete, but perhaps God knew that I needed to pause for a moment of encouragement...as he cheered me on...well done child...you made it further than you thought you could. And I have.

I feel a shift in the trials I face, undoubtedly with new purpose. God is doing a mighty work in my heart for the poor. I still have yet to put into words my reflections from school and the conference in California because my entire world view is being altered. I keep reflecting on the Moline Teen Director's thought when I entered into this ministry..."your faith will change when you minister to these kids." I'm realizing that as you serve the deeply marginalized, you receive an invitation to God's heart.

Matthew 25:45 is taking new residency and shape in my own heart...

He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

No comments: