Monday, March 23, 2009

Unexpected Happiness

A rainy day often calls for the comfort of a couch and a movie. Wrapped under a handmade blanket from my mother...I found myself in joyful tears as the credits for "Saving Sarah Cain" rolled. I walked upstairs to the newly occupied loft...decorated with traces of adolescence...and smiled at the irony of the movie with the timing of my new roommate. As I stood there and considered moving the empty boxes to the garage, I was swept by emotion...of gratitude.

For someone who has grown accustomed to the refuge living alone provides....the idea of this young girl sharing my roof...brings absolute joy.

I walked back to my room and found a card nestled on my bed..."Thank you for opening up your home to me...especially on such short notice!"...signed with a smiley face and a heart.

The circumstances that have brought her here must feel more like a storm than a blessing...but as the cover for the movie proclaims..."Happiness comes when you least expect it."

"Our inner happiness depends not on what we experience but on the degree of our gratitude to God, whatever the experience." ~ Albert Schweitzer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brandy, You always stir, pride and love, in me. So happy you found yet another way to share your kindness and love. Loads of love, Janet