Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Blue Note

I don't know much about jazz music. But I do know a man who walks the streets of Rock Island who is known as the "Jazz Man." He's been my icon of the streets since I started life in ministry. I see him and my whole heart smiles. I struck up a conversation with him in the grocery store one evening and he told me about his love of jazz music and asked me if I had heard of one of a hundred jazz musicians. Admittedly, I'd heard of none. I have no doubt he has forgotten more in his lifetime than I'll ever know.

No, I really don't know much about jazz music...but I'm learning the importance of giving voice to pain. Apparently there is something in jazz called the blue note, the flatted fifth. It is used to build tension in the music. It is used to give voice to pain.

Last night a few friends and I went to listen to the same artist, Andrew Landers, who ultimately inspired the bed project for the boys through his music. He's a simple man with an amazing talent...and a story to tell. From the adoption of his youngest blessings from West Africa...to him and his wife's efforts to fight for clean water around the globe, he struck a chord in my soul.

Apparently 1.1 billion people do not have clean drinking water on the planet, that is one in six of us. Mothers making the choice daily for their children...drink this water and die because it is unclean...or don't drink this water and die of thirst.

I don't know much about jazz music...but I'm pretty sure he must have found the blue note...giving voice to pain...

perhaps the first condition to healing.

No comments: