Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sending Lexus...

In a culture where we've seemingly dropped the moral ball...it's refreshing when a feel good story comes our way...because the truth of the matter is...we still love big stories -- especially when they are true.

We love when the underdog wins...extravagant generosity prevails...hope is restored and lives are changed.

These stories captivate us as they are told on the big screen or dance across our news feeds.

But do you know how those stories are written?

One day at a time...in the seemingly trivial details...from people just like you and me...

They are written when we choose to engage in the lives of those who may outlive our own.

Big stories are pieced together...

     when small details collide.

Unfolding as big screen possibilities...

     only after they become daily realities.

Would you like to write one such story with me?

Her name is Lexus.  Created to bring vibrant colors to His world...


But the prologue asks us to first paint the color of hope across hers.

She was a 12-year-old girl, helping her mom run children's programming the summer of 2007.  I was a farm girl fresh in my faith and fresh out of my John Deere career -- pretending like I knew what I was doing in urban ministry (I assure you I did not).  I led the kiddos in Jesus stories and song and I-surely-hope-not-dance.  She thought my voice was annoying and was not impressed by my dance moves but I convinced her to sign up for summer camp nonetheless.  Hiking the woods by day and counting the stars by night was much more my forte than those city streets ever would be.  I taught her how to swim...and the rest is history...she's been teaching me ever since...

  • What it means to mentor a young girl...
  • How to live a life in a manner worth following... (by following Christ)
  • When to pray instead of offering advice...
  • How to share the darkest details of my past...knowing it would impact her future
  • And most importantly how to laugh at myself and my white-girl dance moves and embarrass her with my misused street slang


After 6 years, I hope I've left a mark on her for the cause of Christ...but the truth of the matter is...she's done the same for me.  It's the way our Father designed it to be.

She has a dream...to be an artist...to bring glory and honor to His name through the talents He's gifted her.

And in our hands we hold the palette of hope...

          the pen to this story.

Will you put it to the paper and write with me?

----------------------------------------------------

I've committed to sponsor Lexus to attend the American Academy of Art in Chicago to refine her God-given talent.

What does this support look like?

  • 3 remaining tuition payments of $1318.50 each (due the 1st of November, January and March)
  • 7 remaining housing payments of $895 each (due the 1st of each month through May)
Through much determination and prayer - Lexus was accepted, enrolled and is now attending this school.  We diligently sought and prayed for a more affordable housing option - and when none came - we walked through the only door that opened.  In full disclosure - I freaked out after taking on this kind of financial burden...and I only found peace when the Lord quietly spoke to my soul..."I will provide as it is needed."

Maybe you are part of answering this prayer?  Will you help send Lexus through school?

  • I've opened a separate checking account (in my name) to manage her tuition and housing expenses.  I'm trusting that by the time I need to write each check, the money will be there through the contribution of myself and others.  If you would like to contribute any amount, one-time or monthly, it would be greatly appreciated.  I will share full transparency with all donors as requested.  Please note, these donations are not tax-deductible.
  • As an alternative, if the Lord gives you a special burden and you feel like pouring out extravagant generosity to cover an entire tuition or rent payment - those payments could be made directly to the school or housing facility.  Since payments must be made in their entirety - anything less will likely need to be routed through the checking account so I can process the full payments.  However, if you feel more comfortable giving directly - I'll work with you to find a solution.
That's all folks.  That's the story we're writing.  Please spread the word and let me know if you can help write a chapter!  

Contact info:  Please email me at brandychaffer@gmail.com for all inquiries and commitments so I can provide additional information.

No comments: