Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Friend like Him

One of the more humorous descriptions of God came from a good friend of mine..."He's like an imaginary friend for grown-ups." While it demonstrates unbelief...the quote has brought much laughter between us.

When I first made the choice to follow Christ...it did seem like a black and white decision I came to..."yes...I choose to believe without proof." But after making that black and white decision...my faith began filling in with color.

Before you come to have a personal relationship with God...it may seem feasible to reduce Him down to an imaginary friend. However, my belief is no longer solely defined by a decision I made early one morning. My belief is solidified by Him...and His active presence in my life.

Through many tests and trials, I have caught myself wrestling with unbelief...and I’ve learned to openly give that up to Him...and seek His assistance.

"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24

I’ve also had the joy recently as I work through my Bible study to look back throughout my past and witness “His thread” along my life. Each time He allowed me to fail...helped me succeed...sifted where I needed sifting...and gently restored my brokenness.

And that my friends...is not imaginary. Blessed are those with a friend like Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can be assured that there is proof, there were thousands of eye witnesses to his life, death, and resurrection. Many of those eye witnesses provided written first hand testimonies that are reported in what we call the Bible.

If we needed more proof than that, I guess we'd have to say no one lived more than 200 years before now - before pictures and movies!

His creation is proof, humankind's evil desires and our changed or changing lives are proof. Look at yourself and you will find proof of Him by His presence in your life.

Joy is ours knowing we have proof of his continuing existance to confirm our faith.

Acts 17:24-31, see particularly the last sentence of verse 31.

Even with more proof than we have it still takes faith to believe; as the Bible tells us, most who saw Jesus and his many miracles still did not gain faith to believe in Him.

Those who have eyes let them see, and those who have ears let them hear.

Bob M

Anonymous said...

"A Friend like Him"--reminds me of the old hymn, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus"--all our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry everything to Him in prayer. Oh what peace we often forfeit, oh what needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry everything to Him in prayer.

Yes, there is lots of proof for His existance, but then why don't more people believe? Maybe they don't want to look for the proof...I have no answers here.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

For those of us who believe, our hearts tell us so. God knows our hearts.

I love your comments on chosing Christ and being blessed by His friendship, Brandy!

Donna M.