Friday, November 30, 2007

The rest...is up to you

Retreat – haven, hideaway, sanctuary, refuge.

There is that anxious feeling brewing this morning. When the clock strikes 5 bells, the bus will depart from the youth center to pickup kids for a weekend winter retreat. Regardless of how many you have confirmed, you never know who will actually attend until the bus is camp bound. We are taking a group of around 15 5th & 6th graders. We purposely target a smaller group of kids, to create a more intimate atmosphere at camp.

“Don’t worry about creating the right spiritual atmosphere Brandy, camp will do that...you just have to be open and willing to share God’s word.”

This month’s scripture theme at the youth center has revolved around getting connected:

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5

Lord, apart from you, I can do nothing, especially with my limited understanding and experience. I will plan the retreat and walk up in front of these kids to share your word...but you’re going to have to do the rest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter how hard you try you won't be able to mess up the Word! It speaks well enough on its own. Remember, whatever goes on there, and however you do it's much more of a blessing and learning than they'd be getting if they weren't there with you and God.
Press on soldier, the Army of God needs you!
BobM

Anonymous said...

I have always loved the John passage. I will pray for your weekend, as it sounds like FUN. I usually feel completely inadequate, when I’m feeling the tug to step out. God uses His word and I love the following verses: (New Living Translation)

2 Corinthians 12:9 “Each time he said, ‘My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.’ So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.”
Ephesians 6:7 “Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.”
Jeremiah 9:23-24 “This is what the LORD says: “Don’t let the wise boast in their wisdom, or the powerful boast in their power, or the rich boast in their riches. But those who wish to boast should boast in this alone: that they truly know me and understand that I am the LORD who demonstrates unfailing love and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth, and that I delight in these things. I, the LORD, have spoken!

I don’t think I have ever met anyone who feels adequate to serve in ministry. Your weakness is where God will show himself. I know you’ve seen that already!
Love, melissa

Tim said...

Melissa pretty much hit it on the nose. In your weakness, when we call to Him, He will be there.

Where 2 or more gather in His name, He will be there. And since there will be like 18 people, you guys are set. (:

All you need now to do is roll out Christ's welcome mat.

He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." Mark 9: 36 & 37