Saturday, December 15, 2007

Wait for the Lord

"Wait for the Lord: be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" Psalm 27:14

"This ministry...these kids... isn't what is going to burn me out. It is the feeling of mediocrity." Myself and the Moline Children's Director sat in the van...in the parking lot...solving the world's problems...yet again. Our nature is strikingly similar in some respects...one being the perfectionist nature that lies within us. Are we impacting lives...are we impacting enough lives? Will we really live to see a difference in these kids?

I read another article from my now favorite Youth Worker Journal which stated: "I'm sure all of us can remember an incident in the last month where we were asked, "How many youth do you have in your youth ministry? But how many of us can remember the last time someone asked, "Where are you and your youth spiritually?" Would we even know the answer?"

I'm not sure that I would. At minimum, I'm not sure that I would like my answer.

We had to put Ebony on suspension from Teen Staff due to a lack of respect and responsibility. In the end, I shared much frustration for her over the situation. But then I paused and asked myself how much have I poured into her? I have taken much of her spirituality for granted; after all, she is Teen Staff. And I’m responsible for K-6th clubs, full of chaos and stress which I expect her to help plan and prep for. But, do I ever pause long enough to pour into her?

Sometimes I think those in ministry feel the busier we are and the more we do, the more we are serving. But I've come to find out...when we don't wait on the Lord to fuel us...we end up spitting out fumes. Anyone can review a children's sermon, stand up and deliver the message. But are we willing to slow down...open God's word...and allow Him to give us the words to speak?

When I left Romania, someone asked me what I would miss the most. “The pace...I’m going to miss the slower pace.” I responded. I still remember the first day I spent back on U.S. soil. Walking outside and taking in the sunshine...feeling the gentle breeze...enjoying the natural blessings of the day. It is a constant battle for me...the pace of the world vs. God's steady stride. Occasionally, I’m gently reminded...to wait for the Lord.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

mmm...That speaks to me in so many different ways. How convicting it is for me to hear you say "wait for the Lord". To often I find myself spending more time preparing my lesson for Sunday school than I do actually teaching it. It is in our nature to wonder if we are doing enough though, do you ever wonder if Jesus thought He was doing (or did) enough?
Thank you, I needed that!
Sarah