Monday, December 3, 2007

Adjust to a new light

13 kids...1 weekend...no power...new light.

When you walk into the darkness...you can not see. Yet the longer you remain...the world around you slowly begins to reveal itself.

"Follow me...and stay connected" I encouraged the kids as our night walk began. "But we cannot see" they fearfully exclaimed. "Then you are going to have to trust me."

Bundled head to toe...we set out for a night walk throughout camp. Over stumps...under branches...through the woods...into the darkness.

Slowly...our eyes began adjusting to our surroundings. "We’re starting to see better" they excitedly exclaimed.

I think following Christ is a lot like a camp night walk. At first...darkness...unable to make sense of circumstances you can't possibly understand...faith...choosing to trust beyond what you can see...and light...slowly allowing the world around you to reveal itself with a different glow.

Turns out our night walk prepared us for what the rest of the weekend would bring...an ice storm and a loss of power and heat Saturday afternoon through Sunday morning. In the darkness...we could not see. But by the flame of 2 fireplaces...beam of 3 flashlights...and tiny flicker of battery powered tea lights for the kids...we adjusted to new light. (With all of the creativity and improvising we could muster)

As the lights clicked on after we were packed and ready to head home Sunday morning...you would have thought the kids endured World War III as the “battle stories” of survival were shared.

“Brandy...can you play “How Great is Our God” again? I love that song.” This coming from a kid who scoffed every time I asked them to sing...you never know where God is at work.

Learn to allow the faint light of the moon to guide you vs. waiting on the sun to shine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your stories! I can visualize you with a bunch of little ones following you in the dark. Your creativity and patience are admirable.
Melissa

Sarah said...

I too love to read your stories! I have been reading through your blog, and its awesome!I can't wait to read more,
Sarah

Hiew Hong Teck said...

you write in technicolor. thanks for sharing. I like your blog