Monday, September 15, 2008

The Shack - Is God really good?

Many people, including myself, have struggled with the basic concept of God being good. We hear God is good...we hear God is love...but we look around this broken world and what do we see? Why would a loving God allow so much pain and suffering? It is a question I've been asked...it is a question I've asked myself...face down with tears streaming down my cheeks.

Is God really good?

I just finished reading The Shack. A fictional book, with an amazing testimony of God interwoven. A thought-provoking, inspiring story worth sharing! I look forward to touching on the many gems the author has eloquently buried, but I'll start by sharing a simplistic thought that reveals a concept that may plague the masses...

This is a perspective in the book from God to the main character...

"The real underlying flaw in your life Mackenzie, is that you don't think that I am good. If you knew I was good and that everything - the means, the ends, and all the processes of individual lives - is all covered by my goodness, then while you might not always understand what I am doing, you would trust me. But you don't."

"Trust is the fruit of a relationship in which you know you are loved. Because you do not know that I love you, you cannot trust me."

The Shack, William P. Young