Saturday, September 6, 2008

The unplanned journey

On the high from last night's Friday Night Flavor kick off (our version of Hip Hop Church)...I intended to hit the bike trail this morning to give God some praise. We have made some very significant changes in the ministry lately, the Friday night program being one of them. Although we are working through the many kinks of new beginnings...we feel God has already shown us very visible signs that we are on the right path. With my iPod loaded...I looked forward to the serenity of the riverfront...

But as I neared the path...I discovered the entrance was blocked. I circled around awhile in hopes this problem would quickly go away. I searched for another entrance...no luck there either...I kept circling. Finally after perhaps my 3rd pass...I conceded to a change of plans. A bit frustrated, I hit the sidewalks and city streets (not quite the serene image I had imagined).

Nevertheless I searched for a new adventure. After inhaling a bit of exhaust and surviving the depths of a few pot holes...I found myself on the trails of a park I had never ridden...but had previously visited. I rounded the corner and pedaled faster towards a shelter. As it came into view...I slowed down to a standstill and the memories flooded back. This was where I spent the first day on the job of my first promotion at John Deere. I accepted the position and joined my new co-workers on a team-building day in the park. I remember having to get directions to find it...I remember skeptically walking up to the group and making introductions...I remember what I wore...I remember getting a picture of an excavator pinned to my back and having to guess what it was without seeing it...I remember not knowing what to call it even after I did. :) I remember questioning why a farm girl was moving into the Construction & Forestry Division of John Deere.

Why was this day so significant? I have started many new jobs, teams, experiences...but this memory was vivid. I didn't have to ponder the question long before the answer came to me...this was the day I joined the team...which would ultimately change my life.

It was on this team where faith was eventually presented to me in a genuine, non-threatening, real way...that I had never seen before. It was on this team...three individuals on separate occasions reached out to me...to share God's love. It was on this team...I was invited to my first official Bible study (they still meet before work every Friday). It was on this team...I started listening to Christian radio...and was eventually lead to Christ.

I peddled not 30 feet up the road and realized I was in my current Executive Director's back yard...and I smiled. Who would have thought...a personal journey which started practically on his back doorstep would eventually lead me directly back there...under drastically different circumstances.

The unplanned journey...was worth the adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unplanned by you perhaps, but was is really unplanned?

BobM