Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Atta boy

With Bibles and basketballs in their hands and new T-shirts on their backs, over 200 campers walked out of the last day of Hoops 4 Hope as the gym doors closed behind them. As the 3 day basketball camp ended, the volunteers joined hands and prayed for what the future would bring for those kids.

The entire camp seemed to be held with a much humbler spirit this year, or perhaps I myself was looking through much humbler eyes. I think God does a mightier work when it becomes less about ourselves and more about His glory.

During one of the Bible stations, the leader probed..."what makes you angry?"...and the 4th-6th grade boys in my group shot up their arms..."people making fun of my dad in prison"..."people saying my uncle should have defended himself...man, how do you defend yourself from a bullet?"...the answers may have continued...but my ability to listen stopped with these two. Each time I was forced to continually discipline their behavior throughout the camp, admittedly my frustration grew, but so did my prayers for grace.

During the week, as I took one camper out in the hallway to address him, I ran into an old acquaintance. I approached him with uncertainty. After we chatted awhile and caught up on the changes the past two years had brought about, I admitted "you are probably the last person I expected to see here"..."well Brandy you weren't on the top of my list either". We laughed at the surprising life changes time had produced. I got to share a bit of my testimony as he shared bits and pieces of the way his was still being formed. As as I spoke...he listened intently..."what a story Brandy...my story is so different"..."but it's still a story" I replied. He spoke about the amazing transformation he had witnessed in the life of the guy who founded Hoops 4 Hope, which is why he was there visiting. We spoke about transformed lives and how all stories are different but usually the marks of Christ are the same. I walked away in complete and utter awe. Realizing once again just how big the God we serve is. To see God working on this man's heart...amazed me. Not that I thought he was too far for God to reach, but I just never thought he'd have an interest to reach back. I state this fully realizing the same could have been said about me. I went back to my campers...but not before I looked up and gave God an "atta boy." :)

"I am the LORD, the God of all humankind. There is, indeed, nothing too difficult for me" Jeremiah 32:27

No comments: