Thursday, July 17, 2008

a man named Dutch

Christina and I wheeled around Rock Island feverishly completing registrations as we prepare for our 3rd and 4th grade camp next week. In one of the housing complexes, I reached for my van key which had been resting in my lap during our journey. Much to my surprise, no key was found. It was the expensive sort of key with the automatic clicker physically part of the key itself. We had been using Christina's key that afternoon, but mine had been with us earlier in the day. Panic started to rise in my chest. Where had I gotten out? The gut wrenching feeling began to take hold with the reality that my key was quite likely laying on the streets of the roughest housing complex we serve. Thoughts immediately began spinning as we headed the van west. If an electronic key was found on the streets, there was slim chance we'd get it back. Furthermore since the CF mini-van is known throughout the complex, it would quite possibly not be safe parked at the center, with an outstanding key.

A trip around the complex confirmed our fears...no key. However, we began asking around and randomly a few kids on the streets seemed to vaguely remember someone picking up a key. What seemed like a wild goose chase, led me to a little girl on a bicycle who informed me "Dutch picked something up." "Could you lead me to Dutch's door?" I asked. A few minutes later I was standing on a doorstep, admittedly with anxiety rising as the little girl peddled off. Knock...knock. A man opened the door displaying a mouth full of golden teeth. I began with my simple questions rehearsed in my head moments earlier. "Are you Dutch?" "I dropped a key and was told you may have found it." I paused... Almost instantaneously a smile was painted across his face "I knew someone would come looking for it" and he disappeared for a moment and then returned with the lost key, genuinely happy to return it to the rightful owner. I graciously thanked him as the door shut before me. I looked over towards Christina in absolute awe as we stood there a moment.

It is hard to tear down judgments, but people regardless of appearances, histories or lifestyles will continue to surprise me. I continue to be a student of the streets...and this day I learned my lesson from a man...named Dutch.

No comments: