Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Love, Alysha

I began reading a youth ministry book awhile ago. I still remember the chapter when he talked about the night he decided to quit his job, cash in and throw in the towel and leave youth ministry behind. But then he got up the next morning...and didn't tell anyone of his decision...and he went into work and started a new day. Some twenty years later, still in youth ministry, he wrote the book.

I have nights like that. Tonight was wrapping up to be one of them. So I was telling God about it..."I'm not sure what you're doing with me here God...except convincing me that I should not be in children's ministry. I'm honestly not good at it...and what difference is it making anyway?"

I walked down to my mailbox and found a card nestled between the junk mail...I opened it up...and He answered...

Brandy -
I just wanted to write you a quick note telling you how much I've appreciated working with you - you are a true blessing. You are called to children's ministry. It was so great to see you interact with the kids. The love of Jesus is so obvious in your life. The work you do is so hard. The ups and downs are there but Jesus is so constant. Keep depending on Him and clinging to his promises. You are changing lives.


I thought the "Love, Alysha" at the bottom was a nice disguise - using a summer camp counselor to cover his identity. :)


And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

No comments: