Wednesday, August 20, 2008

This is why we're here

It is hard to imagine...one of the first teens I met at the youth center...who first made me feel welcome...then suckered me into buying him McDonald's...is off to college tomorrow.

We laughed tonight as we reflected on those early days. The days when I remember being the intimidated girl in the corner wondering what on earth I was doing at the center...let alone how I was going to start building relationships with those kids.

It is hard to imagine that same girl stood on his doorstep tonight in tears...sending him off to school.

I came back to the youth center with my summer intern, who is also preparing to return to the same school...and it was quiet...and dark...and I just looked around for a moment...gazing at the walls of that center..."this is it Christina...this is why we're here...to develop more Christopher's."

Christopher overcame more than most of us can imagine to be able to stand where he is standing. And it was such a blessing to see aspects of our ministry kick into action to bless him. Granting him our CF Scholarship to help with his tuition...and finding a very generous couple...very close to my heart...to fund his books.

Christopher can not control the situation or income-level he was born into...any more that we can control the weather. But look what we can do...together. Don't tell me we can't change the world...it happens...one heart at a time.

Father God I pray blessings and guidance over Christopher's life. I pray in his moments of weakness, you will grant him strength. I pray he never forgets your saving grace and that his heart remains focused on you. He's beyond our reigns now God...but we're confidently turning them over to you...realizing that you've had them all along. Bless and Keep him. In Christ's name I pray...Amen.

No comments: