Friday, January 30, 2009

How can I keep from singing?

I had read in the Bible about this concept of overflowing peace and joy. I had even heard a few authentic Christians speak of experiencing it. The story of Paul and Silas singing in prison, found in Acts 16, plagued my thoughts. I wasn't experiencing anything close to the burdens and persecution that Paul and Silas had faced, but they were still led to sing, from their prison cell. I wasn't in prison, and I wasn't singing.

This, along with a number of other life circumstances, is what led up to my faith crisis. "Either God isn't who He says He is, or I have an inaccurate view of God." In the depths of my soul, I knew my God was real, but He needed to prove himself. I was emotionally done and spiritually drained when I pulled up to the lakehouse. "Ok God...let's throw down." :)

I knew that I 'should' sing in the most detrimental of circumstances simply because of who God is, but I wondered if I would ever actually 'feel' like singing.

But upon my return home, as I walked over to grab the mic during a Rock Band session at the youth center, I thought to myself "what am I doing...I don't sing" as the lyrics poured from my mouth. (albeit without much talent...God didn't work that miracle)

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. Psalm 40:3

1 comment: