Thursday, May 31, 2007

One Forgotten

I had a K-3 club tonight and had just gathered the group into the big room for message. The phone rang and I reluctantly ran for it...most nights it is too chaotic to deal with the phones...but tonight I did..."Brandy...are you coming for pickup soon?" I wearily respond..."pick up is over...we're almost done with club"...a pause..."you forgot me". My heart sunk. When I returned to center tonight with the second load - I had a weird feeling that I should have went to Century Woods - but gave my list another quick scan and all seemed accounted for. But tucked in between two names...was Jabari...who had called...who was on the list...who I had overlooked. I sat there...it was time for message...club would practically be over by the time I went to get him. As I tried to explain...disappointment drenched his voice...finally I stopped..."I'll be right there".

"Stall the message...I'll be right back" I went after one...but returned with six. What is it about the Sunshine van that attracts them? :) In the end...my pick up error fit seamlessly into my message...like it was planned all along. One forgotten...six returned...one forgiven.

1 comment:

BOB M said...

That was a nice way to finish Club for the day. You made 6 feel important and wanted, and I'm sure those already at Club noticed that effort.

Now, tell me why I'm reading your blog 10 minutes after you wrote it at this late hour?