Thursday, September 20, 2007

Then we could give it to Africa

I'm thirsty...I'm hungry...when is this going to be over? Three impatient children sit next to me as we wait for the Watoto Children's Choir to take front stage. Watota which means "The Children" in Swahili, performed a Concert of Hope under the stars outside a church in Rock Island. Beautiful Ugandan orphans dance and sing to a soulful blend of native African rhythms, contemporary gospel music and ethnic dance. These children lost one or both of their parents to AIDS and through their performances raise awareness and support for their country. The energy they exhaust is unbelievable.

The entire time I watched it, I wondered how I could get a group of our kids in a choir, tailored to their culture. Afterwards my Executive Director's wife who has a dance/choreography background ran up to me..."I’m ready to lead a choir like that...you find the kids and line up the details...and I’ll do the choir."

Over Taco Bell later that night (kids can only hold out for so long)...I inquired, "Would you guys be interested in being in a choir like that...and if you practice enough, maybe you could do some performances to raise money" "Yeah...and then we could give it to Africa!" they responded with excitement in their voice and a taco in their hand.

That’s enough of an impact for me.

1 comment:

Glen Alan Woods said...

Brandy,

I always look forward to your posts. Once again, I have been impacted. Thank you.