Tuesday, September 25, 2007

They were supposed to stay

It seems the families are always looking for a way out...a better solution...a better life. They tend to move around a lot. Typically these moves are not across town...but down South...or Chicago...or today...it was California. They move to family...escaping this life...to find...I don’t know what...perhaps a new start...a different reality...a better life. Aubrey and his sister Kayla moved a few weeks ago...to stay with family in Chicago. This reality hasn’t set in yet...my first buddy at CF is gone and I don’t know if I’ll ever see him again.

Today while picking up the twins for small group...Tyvon wheeled up on his bike and gave me a hug...followed by the dreaded words,“I’m moving”. “No you’re not” I argue for the sake of denial. “Yeah I am, in October, to California with my sister to live with our grandma.”

This one breaks my heart. Tyvon holds that special place...that I’m not sure how to fill when he’s gone. I didn’t expect this in this job. The kids were supposed to stay. I might see them through heartbreaking situations...but they were supposed to stay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about you losing kids to moves. Donna taught in an area like yours and in her entire elementary school each year less than 50% of the kids that started the year were there at the end of the year - every year! You give them your best while you have them and try to be content with doing that much for them. BobM

Anonymous said...

and with every good-bye you learn....
Love -T

Anonymous said...

i love you brandy and i will miss tyvon as well!! i know hes (your favorite) but your not supposed to say that!! haha
Christina