Thursday, March 15, 2007

Making a Beat

I stayed late after club tonight and checked out the music software Chris had installed on a few of the computers. Part of this ministry is meeting these kids where they are...whether that is in their neighborhoods...or in their passions.

Brenton and Chris were playing around "making a beat" while Brandon freestyled (making up a rap on the fly). Brenton, who has some music industry experience, suggested throwing in some random horn sounds, which gave it a salsa flair, according to Chris and Brandon. While this drew some sarcasm and laughter, after playing with it long enough, it fell into place. Unsure of the entire process, I quietly watched as the beat took its form.

"I know I might be retarded...but you make a beat and then rap to it?" I asked, giving a small smile in hopes they would show some mercy. "You rap?" Brandon asked. "Do I look like I rap?" I laughed. "Hey I didn't know if maybe you were going to throw up your hood and cut loose." This drew amusement around the room.

In the end a "Salsa Anthem" came to life.

Brandon is really excited to learn how to make a beat and talked about all of the guys he knows that are into Christian rap that he can pass his beats to. This is the same Brandon that has “Money Maker” tattooed on his hands from his earlier days of selling drugs.

2 comments:

BOB M said...

Great deduction! See Romans 5:8-11

BOB M said...

Oops! Comment on wrong post.

Will we be seeing rap CD soon?