Saturday, July 7, 2007

Hoops 4 Hope

A Rocky basketball coach’s son...with a burden on his heart for inner-city youth...found a few volunteers...and a few kids...and held the first Hoops 4 Hope basketball camp. Six years later...many more volunteers...and over 200 kids...one man's dream...became his reality. Because the camp reaches our same youth...the Rock Island Christian Friendliness staff canceled programming this week in order to support and volunteer at Hoops 4 Hope.

Christina requested we be partnered together as Huddle Manager and Huddle Leader...and requested the 4th graders. As we check the list to verify our assignments...we high-five as we discover we are paired up...then stand in disbelief when we find out it is with the 8th and 9th grade boys.

I boldly take my position at check-in...here they come...ok...I can do this. Check-in my first two campers...going to be a bit more intimidating than I intended...but if this is what you had in store for me God...ok. Then walks in Little Timmy. I should tell you...Little Timmy and I have history...the first kid I ever had to kick out of the center for kicking a basketball in my face...he's also my rock thrower that broke the glass block on the side of the building. Alright God...now you're just getting a sense of humor.

Day 2...I had a moment with Little Timmy...as he told me about his dad who had just gotten out of jail...who he hasn't seen in years...but recently called.

Day 3...we nominated him as camper of the day...for most Christlike behavior...for most improved attitude and staying positive....even in defeat.

God had a moment...with Little Timmy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kicked a basketball into your face did he! Maybe he thought you had quicker hands? Maybe not.

Glad the Hoops event is working out. "Huddle" sounds like term from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

Bob M

Anonymous said...

Hoops...Huddle...Hope...Humor(as in sense of--God's and yours, Brandy)...Halleluiah!!! This is such a wonderful story, and progress, definitely progress!

Donna M (of Bob)