Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Still changing lives...

We held a camp reunion for the 3rd and 4th graders at the center. "What just happened?" Christina asked as we dropped off the last round. Good question! It was mass chaos...fighting...screaming...bleeding...you name it. I inform Chris of the disaster a couple days later. "Oh you made the mistake of thinking they were still in camp mode...you forgot...they've been home since then."

Poverty takes on many different forms. Tonight during a camp sign up...it was a house...if it had doors...I’m not sure where they were...full of bugs...seemingly abandoned...the grandmother drudgingly filling out the paperwork...cussing...irritated...while her 6th grade granddaughter patiently waited outside.

"You have to emotionally remove yourself don't you?" Christina asked. And you do...although I admit...I've laughed at inappropriate times...and sobbed just out of earshot. Overall...I have begun to understand my role isn't to take them out of their situation...but give them hope and joy...while still in it.

Another of the camper's grandmothers came into the center today to sign him up. It was her daughter that was stabbed and killed New Year's Day. She was very somber as she ruffled through the papers..."I received some very upsetting news today...I can't shake...my daughter's trial was pushed back...again." We talk...and the conversation gradually turns back to her grandson...and camp...and a smile slowly creeps onto her face..."Miss Betty was here when I used to come...what a sweet...sweet lady." Perhaps this was her only smile all day...remembering a woman that dedicated her life to this ministry...still touching hearts...still changing lives.

Many of the kids are wise beyond their years. Not sure where this will go...but Christopher (Teen Staff) started a blog...I found worth sharing: http://lifeandtestimoniesofchrisburton.blogspot.com/

No comments: