Monday, April 16, 2007

Again

Being exhausted...and overwhelmed...if we’re not careful…can lead to paralysis. Paralysis...is the devil’s playground. The place where we convince ourselves that the job is too big to make a difference...the place we no longer believe we are equipped for the calling...the place where we give into doing nothing at all...for fear of failing if we do anything. I know something about paralysis.

I’ve recently learned to continually go the word...even when I don’t feel like it...to pray...when my heart is no longer in it...to wait...when I’m no longer patient. And in His unfailing way…in His time...He answers...slowly extends His hand...and helps you take your first step...again.

Many books have been written about youth ministry...prepared...rehearsed...you deliver your message...plan your event...and it fails miserably. With panic rising in your chest...kids staring and laughing...you are reminded of that embarrassing nightmare you had in high school...only you look down...and to your relief...you are in fact wearing pants...but this is reality...this is where you just want to run...to swear you will never do this to yourself again. But that book would never get published. They publish the book...when you get back on stage...when you learn to adapt...when you find your place...in your ministry...with your kids. They publish the book...when you can look back and say...I’m glad I did that to myself...again.

No comments: