Tuesday, April 3, 2007

There is a Storyteller

A friend recently questioned my faith while we caught up over dinner. It was not presented in a demeaning way but instead as an outsider looking in...a curious skeptic. Skeptics have questions...I want to provide answers. By the time the check arrived...a challenge had been born...to uncover faith in another's eyes.

The wheels in my head started to spin. Where should I begin? What is the right approach? What worked for me? When suddenly a simple thought brought the wheels to a halt...start at the beginning.

So I assigned homework. Simply observe nature…all of the complexities...beauties and wonders of nature. Watch the clouds roll by...the sun, moon and stars rise and fall. Watch the river flow...the breeze blow. Hear the birds...smell the flowers...feel the rain. Watch today...rest tonight...watch again tomorrow. Grasp the recurrence of the universe.

A couple days after this arrangement was made, I was listening to a CD set another friend had loaned me and was struck by the following quote: "In short, I had always believed that the world involved magic; now I thought that perhaps it involved a magician. And this pointed a profound emotion always present and subconscious; that this world of ours has some purpose; and if there is a purpose, there is a person. I had always felt life first as a story: and if there is a story there is a Storyteller."

No comments: