Thursday, April 19, 2007

Broken Out...Broke In

Some nights the words flow out more easily than others. Tonight I'm not sure there are words...not the right words anyway.

Virginia Tech is unsettling. So many fates sealed that day. So many lives cut short. In youth ministry, we are burdened to address the impact...questions...emotions...with our youth. What is the appropriate response when all you feel is heartbreak? As a Christian...panic ripples for those kids...as a Christian that took 27 years to find her place...what if they hadn't found theirs yet? These are the things I choose to give up to God...because the answers here on earth are beyond me. There is urgency in the gospel.

Tonight I informed one of the boys that he was not welcome back to the center next week because of his behavior. After I dropped him off he threw something at the van. I assumed it must have been a hand full of rocks as they seemed to be falling off the roof as I drove away. A loud crash thundered as I turned the corner from the complex...which brought me to reality. I'm not sure what I expected to see when I glanced over my shoulder...but a broken out window certainly wasn't it. Close to center...I pressed on...grateful there were not other kids in the van. It was an interesting night...officially broke in I guess. I gave my statement to the police...and solved the world's problems over a late night Wendy's drive-thru with Miss Ebony. What can I say...I'll save future behavior discussions for a phone call the next day. :)

No comments: