Sunday, April 29, 2007

My CF Kids

My parents were up today to support a plant sale that we had for CF. I am grateful to steal a couple hours from them off the farm this time of year...especially on such a beautiful day! Saturday I got to put my farm roots to work with a few of my kids at Camp Summit for "camp work days" - preparing the grounds for summer camp. Witnessing the transformation of taking the kids out of their element and into God's is indescribable. For a day...they simply got to be kids. Picking up sticks, riding the Gator, going on a rescue mission for missing paddleboats...and most of all...laughing.

I was given a phone number in my first few days of CF and asked to call it for potential CF kids. The name sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. Both kids quickly became regulars at the center, a 5 year old girl and an 11 year old boy. It was this 11 year old boy…as we shared a canoe…that told me he had a march against violence today. Their mother was stabbed and killed in Rock Island on New Year’s Day.

I'm not sure why I was called to Children's Ministry as I don't feel that I'm best suited for this job. But then I live this story...and am utterly heartbroken...with God’s burden on my heart…to fuel another day.

The basketballs still bounce outside my window. Today less than a block from home, I slowed for kids in the street. "Miss Brandy...can I come to center Friday night?" I slowed for my CF kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're doing a great thing Brandy! Good for you and your kids!