Thursday, April 5, 2007

Where would you rather be?

Never have I had a moment of regret since entering this ministry...for I know this is where I am supposed to be...but I have had so many moments of brokenness. This past weekend finally seemed to unveil a new found peace...what I am doing is starting to make sense. My sacrifices...one by one are becoming easier to bear. While the kids are not letting me in the door yet...they are letting me peak in the windows of their lives.

Dieing a death to selfish ambition is not easy. Surrendering my own dreams...and trusting they will not only be replaced...but surpassed. It is hard not to look back and desire the small town farm life I envisioned...for inner-city ministry is a far cry from that picture. But while I do not understand God’s plans for my life...I know my own plans will seem minuscule in comparison.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3 5:6

I stumbled across a missions website that posed an interesting question:

Where would you rather be? Driving your dream car on your way home from a great job going to a beautiful house - while trying to avoid God. Or, yielding to the call and being surrounded by the peace that passes all understanding -- even if it means living a life of sacrifice.

Cars and jobs and houses aren't evil. And, God doesn't call everyone to be a missionary in some far-off land. But, He does call everyone to serve.

It sounds crazy to a lost generation, but following God leads to peace. Seeking personal, selfish pleasure is the most certain path to an unfulfilled, wasted life.
Don't settle for safety, boredom ... and, if the call to follow the Lord is ignored, regret.

(slightly modified from http://www.adventures.org/)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So living a life with a dream car, great job, and beautiful house means someone is avoiding God? Not sure about most, but a good portion of the friends,family, and co-workers I have in my life strive for, if not already have, a dream car, great job, beautiful house, and serve God.

Brandy said...

Great question and I should clarify. The website I referenced was targeting people who felt they had been called to missionary work but might be tempted to lead a "normal" life instead - therefore ignoring God's call. But He doesn’t call everyone to the mission field. Only each individual person likely knows when and what they’ve been called to do. And certainly I believe people all over the world are serving God and have great cars, jobs and homes.