Saturday, April 21, 2007

Painted Faces

How we react when bad things happen...who do we blame...is God at fault? This was the theme of the message Friday night...so we put God on trial. I opened by asking the kids to share some bad things that had happened to them that were beyond their control. One by one...they started to share. A little hand flew up...“when my dad was arrested”...then another...“yeah...when my dad was locked up for doing really bad things”...“when my parents fight”...“when my family fights” My heart stopped for a moment...as things got real. Much reality for 9–12 year olds. In the end...even through it all...we found God innocent...we just have to learn to trust him. God changes and molds us during the times most trying.

I’m getting better with the kids. I’m staring to turn my initial reaction of reprimand into a crafty comment with a subtle grin. I looked over to find Aubrey getting worked up...scowling...threatening. Two weeks ago...I would have shouted from across the gym to knock it off. Today...I ran over...squatted down and in a funny voice asked “are you in need of an attitude check boy”... “don’t make me give you an attitude check”...the moment you break through that tough exterior and the slow grin begins to paint their face...yeah...that’s when it’s worth it.

No comments: