Sunday, April 1, 2007

The Beginning

Friday night I had my first 4th-6th grade evening club. Slightly disheartened with only 4 on the pickup list, I eased the sunshine van away from CF. Yes these days I drive a 14 passenger van with a sunshine painted on the side of it...and to think I used to be so concerned with my image. :)

Armed with two teen staff and a first-time volunteer...I detoured through one of the housing complexes...a couple kids who had walked to the center last week because their phone wasn’t working on the back of my mind. Around the second corner...outside shooting hoops...their smiles worth a million bucks as they piled into the van. Motivation! We kept the windows rolled down and literally invited other groups of kids as we drove through. Exiting with a full van...we returned to the center for drop off so I could go after the kids on my list.

It was an awesome night! Basketball...smiles and fun...and a message based on Men in Black. I’m trying to learn how to be “hip” in my devotions and started using a “Videos that Teach” resource. It miraculously allowed me to play a Men in Black clip and talk about living in God’s world. God Bless creative people!

Taco Bell paid off. Miss Ebony accompanied me to church...and we spent the morning together...walls are coming down.

No matter how slow it starts...every story requires a beginning...and this one has officially begun.

1 comment:

BOB M said...

Yea for God's side!