Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Comes The Dawn

A poem has followed my sister and I through many trials of life. Many heartbreaks...and joys...hello's and goodbye's. It has always spoken to us on a level that doesn't require words. Many times we'd dig through our files...resurrect the poem...and hit send...often at exactly the needed moment.

It came to mind today...and I found another's perspective of the poem in my search I'd like to share...
"When I first read this poem, I was married. I didn't understand it, nor did I like it. In fact, I really didn't like it. It had no relevance to me. I was supposedly happily married at the time. After my divorce, I began to understand it's meaning. I came to realize that it is about inner strength, and learning that women have to learn not to depend on a man, or anyone else, for their happiness and fulfillment. I learned that in everyone's life there are good-byes of one kind or another. We are always saying good-bye. Spouses let us down; spouses disappoint us; spouses don't keep promises. Spouses and other loved ones die. Friends move away; friendships cool, and children grow up and leave home. They begin their own lives and aren't so much a part of ours anymore. Some stay close to us, some don't. Parents do the best they can, but most of us have some scars and issues from childhood. Eventually, they leave us, also. So, we have to build our own world, plan our own lives, and learn not to depend on anyone else except God. Most of all, we realize that we can survive if we are strong. Then, anything that comes along to make us happy is just icing on the cake." (taken from here)

Comes the Dawn

After awhile you learn the subtle difference
between holding a hand and chaining a soul.

And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
and company doesn't mean security.

And you begin to understand that kisses aren't contracts
and presents aren't promises,
and you begin to accept your defeats
with your head held high and your eyes wide open.

With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child.

You learn to build your roads on today
because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans,
and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

After awhile you learn that even sunshine
burns if you get too much.

So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure,
that you really are strong,
and you really do have worth.

And you learn and learn...and you learn…
with every goodbye you learn.

~Veronica A. Shoffstall

No comments: