Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Two Years

Monday night, I prayed a prayer in a different way than I ever have before...prompted by Beth Moore's message on Faithfulness. Perhaps I will be pointing back to this fact in the days...months...years that lie ahead.

I forgot how much the kids energize me. I decided to start a discipleship group this fall with a handful of the 5th and 6th graders. A core group emerged this summer with an amazing desire to dive deeper into God's word...demonstrating leadership capabilities. This isn't something that comes along often...especially in this ministry...it is something that you latch onto. A few of the kids were available to meet tonight so we had our first informal meeting, reviewed the scriptures where Jesus appointed his disciples, and of course ended in a fierce game of Knock Out. "I love this group"..."We should make up a rap about spreading the word...because that's what we'll be doing". Moments like these...need to be recorded...because all I could do...is wonder...why has God blessed me so richly with these kids.

Earlier today Chris and I met with someone that God has placed a clear burden for these youth on their heart...someone in a position with the potential to make a real impact. As we shared a "vision" that we couldn't even completely get our arms around...restrained excitement brewed. We committed to faithfully praying for what the future may bring...not for our plans...but for God's will...

For those of you who receive the CF Newsletter, you will see an article from Mark Drake, the Executive Director...It was 1988 when Mark was joining CF and told Miss Betty that he was only going to stay for 2 years, as to which she responded..."Oh goody...that is what I said 42 years ago!" Mark and his wife Sarah are starting their 20th year with CF. I came in with the same 2 year minimum commitment...skeptical I could or would fulfill it...to a couple months in...knowing for sure that I wouldn't...to a few more months in...simply reading this...and smiling. It does make you wonder what two years will become.

No comments: