Monday, August 27, 2007

Jerry Maguire

After I joined this ministry and got my feet wet...I kept waiting for my Jerry Maguire moment. The late night where I'd sit down at my computer and start typing...the words flying out onto the screen...a night where I’d question everything...think outside the box...put everything under the microscope... a CF transformation...

Many late nights I found myself typing...no memorandum was born.

In between introductions and visits in Minneapolis...the three of us sat in a coffee shop unwinding our thoughts. We began with threads born from our visions...entwined with our reflections from the Leadership Summit...intricately woven with our experiences in MN.

The church and community in Minneapolis personified our dream...in action. We were taken under their wings...and shown a community united...the body of Christ...working as one.

We have a week before our annual staff days to finalize our thoughts and prepare to cast our vision for Rock Island...for CF. At the Leadership Conference Bill Hybels spoke about “A Vision to Die For.” Success of a vision depends on the degree individuals “own” it.

Alone...I was never going to develop a vision that Chris and Willie would be willing to die for. But together...four hours in a coffee shop later...we built a vision...we own.

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. John 10:11-15

“I feel like we just wrote our Jerry Maguire memorandum”...”You do realize Jerry lost his job when he made that proposal right Brandy?...this isn’t going to be easy”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So the 10% inspiration has been completed, and 90% perspiration begins! I'm not sure where the 10%-90% rule came from since I find that only 82% of the letters in inspiration are also in perspiration. I note that the non-comforming letters of the two words "in" and "per" can be scrambled to form word "ripen" and that is what will happen when you combine those to words and works. Hope your fruit will ripen fully.