Saturday, October 20, 2007

A lot like the weather

"As we think about having a Godly reputation, is there anything I can be praying for you about?" I ask.

Tyvon's 3rd grade hand shot up..."Yeah...that we won't do drugs." "Do you know people that do them?" I inquire. "Yeah, outside my house they do all the time."

Quite frankly, I already knew this - he certainly lives in one of the more "active" corners of Century Woods. But...I guess I didn't realize that he would know the difference. Kids aren't as naive as I'd like to believe. He put in a bad day today, but that was obvious when he walked in...often times whatever is going on at home...is somehow painted on them when they arrive. A side of him surfaced that I had never seen before. Even the best behaved kids are still affected by their environments. Each time this reality hits me...it stings all over again.

"Brandy are you dressing up for Halloween?"..."I don't know - what should I be?"..."You could be a mustard seed!" Dakari responded with a big smile...as he remembered our "faith as small as a mustard seed" message from weeks before.

Sometimes there is a steady breeze...while others it comes and goes with the storm. Some storms never seem to end...while others are followed by a rainbow. Emotions are a lot like the weather.

No comments: