Friday, October 5, 2007

I'm going to do it

"Brandy I want to get to the point where I actually want to go to church, but it is hard...some days I just don't want to get up. And I want to wow people in track this year...like I did last year, but then I let everyone down because I didn't feel like going after school every day so I quit. And I want to keep my grades up - but I'm in the habit of skipping school occasionally or leaving early. It is just hard to make myself do it."

To which I replied...

"Ebony, do you honesty think that I get up jumping for joy to go to church every Sunday? I'll let you in on a little secret - I don't. Some mornings I'm exhausted and simply want to sleep in...or I have a hundred other things I could do...but I don't...I get up...and I go to church...and usually those are the days when the sermon really hits me and I find myself thinking...alright God...I see why you wanted me here. What you lack in all of those areas of your life is self-discipline. There are some times you have to decide to do things...even when you don't feel like it. You need to decide right now that you're getting up for church...that you're done skipping school...that you won't quit track...and then remind yourself of this oath when you're tempted. I admit Ebony - you have it harder than I did. I had a father that would whoop my butt if I skipped school and I flat out wasn't allowed to quit anything I started...so I didn't have to be completely self-disciplined...but you do...so what. You set the bar for yourself and don't sell yourself short. Ebony you can do anything that you put your mind to...and you will do amazing things in Christ...but it means not selling out for mediocrity...it means stepping up and taking control of your life. You can be anything you want to be...but you've got to get yourself disciplined."

"I want to Brandy...I'm going to try."

"I don't want you to try Ebony...I want you to do it."

"Ok - you're right...I'm going to do it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow i love that girl!! shes growing up and recognizing things!! glad your there for her!! keep it up and you be the one to whoop her butt!! haha:)
Christina