Friday, October 26, 2007

One of those nights

I've been trying to form words for my feelings...but how? I drove home tonight knowing I should be in tears...but unable. I drove home tonight wondering if I've grown detached...but heartbroken. I drove home tonight...and the garage door closed behind me...and the tears exploded. I hit my knees on my garage floor - Lord no child should endure this.

When it's late, and you're spent...and you just want the night to be over. You have to muster from somewhere inside that loving voice..."come on guys...get back in the van...we'll go on an adventure." They are locked out. Their phone is shut off. Their neighbor will not take them in. Their 9 year old brother tries to stand up as the "man of the family" and decide where they should go.

I return to the center...three kids in tote.

"It's one of those nights Brandy." "Oh no...what's going on?"

"One of those nights" is our seemingly popular tag line...which usually means that it is going to be a late one. Late...for a variety of reasons. "You won't believe who just walked in...Dude." "Dude" is a name Chris and Willie have given to a few different kids...who show up randomly...usually have deeper issues going on...who will add several hours to the night...who we never turn away.

We know sometimes our patience grows thin. It is unpredictable the night or the hour they will walk through our doors...but it is in these nights...in these hours...they most need to experience His love. God...give us the strength.

No comments: