Monday, October 15, 2007

Pull up the Bootstraps

Believing God. Tougher than it sounds...even after you come to know Christ. Yes...the secret's out...I'm a Christian. So what...what does that mean? It means that I not only believe that God exists...but that I actually believe God will see me through. But do I?

After staff days...I realized that we as a staff "rolled over" when the going got tough. There were some definite things that we felt very passionately needed to change. But at the first sign of strong resistance...retreated.

Christina (Moline Director) and I returned home last night from the CCDA conference in St. Louis. CCDA stands for the Christian Community Development Association. They believe in transforming under-resourced communities. In a nutshell...stop with the charity and start empowering the community.

Urban ministry is not where I thought I'd be called. I had envisions of being called to the pits of Africa...but every day God solidifies that I'm where he has called me.

Often times my mind wanders to the greener grass..."look at that organization...i bet they have it all together...oh what I could do with them"...but I think it is in these moments God is asking me if I believe Him.

Having these thoughts...during an evening worship service...I stopped singing...sat down and picked up my Bible and flipped open to a devotional - Moses' Choice / Your Choice - "Instead of staying where things were nice and clean, prestigious and comfortable, he (Moses) chose mistreatment. You have the same opportunity to choose either a reward that stops here or one that lies ahead in a place that cannot be seen. You have a chance to choose for your sake or for the sake of Christ. It boils down to that. How will you choose? Remember Moses."

Christina and I walked out of the same workshop with that sinking feeling. "God's not going to let this one go is He?" It's time to pull up the bootstraps.

No comments: