Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Holy Discontent

Perhaps I've written on this topic before...but this morning it is captivating me. Holy Discontent is a Bill Hybels term (Willow Creek Senior Pastor).

What is the one aspect of this broken world that, when you see it, touch it, get near it, you just can't stand? Very likely, that firestorm of frustration reflects your holy discontent, a reality so troubling that you are thrust off the couch and into the game. It's during these defining times when your eyes open to the needs surrounding you and your heart hungers to respond that you hear God say, "I feel the same way about this problem. Now, let's go solve it together!"


We're talking a lot as a staff lately about our holy discontents. And I'm reminded once again how confused I was early on as a Christian when people spoke about burdens placed on their hearts. "I have a burden for orphans" I might here someone say. And the only thought response I had running through my head was "burden?...what's wrong with them that they consider it a burden to care for orphans?" But a bit further down my journey, I understand that it really is a burden. This morning as I reflect on my own holy discontent and the latest QC violence, their families and community...the kids I'm ministering to...the amazing progress I have seen lately (truly a blessing from God) and the painful pasts many of my girls shared with me in confidence...I'm utterly heartbroken by all of the pain...overjoyed with the progress...but brought to my knees with sorrow. It is a burden not to be able to shake the heartache...but it is a burden...I would give the world...to be privileged enough to carry.

We were asked to define our holy discontent. Mine was molded in Romania...but has been intricately carved out in Rock Island. What thrusts me off of the couch are children without hope. Children surrounded by suffocating circumstances. Children who we don't HAVE to help as a society. Children perhaps the world, government, community and even family have forgotten. But in Christ...we are called to take action.

On that plane ride home from Romania...gazing down on my last sights of such a "forgotten" country...one thought consumed me..."if those ministries weren't in those orphanages...reaching out to those children...no one would be."

This defines my holy discontent.

What defines yours?

Hybels' own experience with "holy discontent" grew out of observing "churches who don't care about people who are far from God," he said. That led him not only to start Willow Creek Church nearly 30 years ago, but also to lead the "seeker-sensitive" movement, which presents the gospel to people who are "far from God" in ways that will bring them close to God and eventually to faith in Christ.

"What can't you stand?" Hybels asked. He cited a litany of possible answers for church leaders -- "injustice, extreme poverty, racism, homelessness, AIDS, immoral business practices, dysfunctional churches, ... crappy music, crooked politicians [and] young people drifting further and further away from God."

Hybels offered Christians three tips about finding and following up on "holy discontent."

First, "it's not everything you get upset about," he said. "We ought to be looking for that one cause that grabs us by the throat and won't let us go."

Second, don't give up if the object of discontent is not obvious, he added. "Keep exposing your heart. ... Travel more in the world. Visit an AIDS clinic or a Habitat [for Humanity] build." Keep on looking.

Third, don't run from it, he said. "Most of us run from our firestorm of frustration. One of the best things you can do is identify with it. ... When you find it, feed it. Increase your exposure. Stay close to your holy discontent."


('Holy discontent' can inspire good leaders, Hybels says - by Marv Knox)

No comments: