Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Our Heritage...

Beth Moore has had a pretty fantastic impact on my faith walk. Breaking Free (highly recommend this study!) was the first Bible study I attended, and remember instantly being intrigued by her energy and passion for Christ. I was also taken aback by her "coolness" thinking..."Wow...this woman is amazing and hip and loves Christ like no other I've ever seen. Maybe this faith stuff isn't so bad after all." Then she proceeded to walk me through a journey during a particularly difficult time of my life...and for the first time deliver me on the free side of the chains I had been caught up in by the world.

It was another Bible study of hers a few months ago I completed through my church. This particular day she was speaking about our Heritage - what helped shape who we are today - who we will become. She spoke about her own heritage and the incredible women of faith that molded her...she spoke of the heritage of the Jews...and what a precious gem their heritage truly is...to share the heritage of Jesus Christ.

I remember reflecting on my own heritage. As I walked through the blessings of my childhood on the farm...raised by two amazing parents...with a passion and dedication to hard work and family values...I was quite content in my heritage. But in my limited understanding of God's plan...to some extent I drew the conclusion..."see God...aren't I supposed to be a farm wife - isn't that my heritage...to watch the corn and my children grow?" God left me hanging on this one for awhile.

This weekend as my entire extended family attended my grandmother's funeral services, we learned a bigger picture of our heritage. We learned of a woman, fondly nick-named the "Bulldog" in church because of her relentless dedication to ensure the children and youth of the church were relevantly being served. We learned of a woman dedicated to missions and helping the least of these. We learned of an amazing mother, grandmother, wife and friend.

It made me reflect once again on the letters she has written to me. And this time I caught a glimpse of her as a passionate woman vs. the "grandmother box" I had always put her in. I remember conversations I'd had with her about my dad. "Brandy...he's always had a heart for the least of these...he always reached out to those in need...those in trouble...it doesn't surprise me that he loves working with the kids you bring to the farm."

My heritage.

My sister just called with a funny Gracie (niece) story...

They've been discussing lately how God will sometimes 'call' you to do something or serve in some way...

With her 4yr. old eyes closed in prayer..."God when you 'tell' on me...I'll be there." The little eyes peered open at her mom..."Do think he's going to 'tell' on me?"

The story warms my soul...but to Gracie...she is simply living out...our heritage.

No comments: