Friday, April 11, 2008

Real Wisdom

Last night as I sat holding her hand...I couldn't help but think about all of the wisdom she must hold. I watched as my grandmother took her last breaths...as Jesus walked her home.

I'm not too far away from entering my 30's...and for a year many people dread...I look at it with excited anticipation. For what I have learned in the first 30 years will help mold the next 30.

The ironic thing about wisdom...real wisdom...is that it rarely indwells the young.

Taken from a devotional by Luci Swindoll..."When I calmly look life in the eye, having grown wise from beating and flapping against its imperfections, learning to compromise, and accepting the fact that everyone and everything has its shortcomings: Life will have given me truth, and taken in exchange, my youth. In advertently, one is given up for the other."

This thought drove me this morning to dig out a couple letters grandma had written to me during particular highs and lows of my life...and reading them years later...I better discern the wisdom she was passing on..."Keep your eyes focused on the Lord"..."Make memories with friends in the years spend unattached"..."Value your education"..."Go to church."

Two Kinds of Wisdom

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness. James 3:13-18


I looked around the room at the faces of the "harvest" my grandmother had raised...and basked in the quote my parents have often repeated...passed down through the years..."The best crop this farm has ever produced is our children." Thank you for the many years sown in peace. Thank you for your good life, done by deeds in the humility that comes from wisdom. Rest in peace grandma. Until we meet again...

1 comment:

Tim said...

Brandy I am truly very sorry for your loss. I know she meant so much to you and that she was an awesome child of Christ's. I am honored to have met her. As you said, you will see her again. For today, she was welcomed into the arms of her Creator.