Thursday, April 3, 2008

I do too

"Where you at Big Marquee...where you at Baby?" And Amari shuts the door. I don't remember when he started this little ritual...or what it even means...or if I've even ever really understood what exactly it is he is saying...but regardless of the circumstance or the time of day...these are the last words he leaves me with every time he departs the van. My limited understanding does not prevent the words from warming my heart and painting a smile on my face each and every time I hear them.

One of the girls from my 7th grade small group was riding shotgun last night as I dropped him off. Through her laughter at hearing his proclamation for the second time...she inquired..."What does that even mean Brandy?" I have no clue my dear...but I'm only going to worry when he stops saying it. :)

The kids stomp team, lead by our Executive Director's wife, practiced last night, as part of our creative arts outreach. As we were walking out the door...she glanced over her shoulder as the kids broke into play...freed from the restraint practice requires. "I want these kids to make it Brandy...and the statistics aren't good." We paused and watched them for a moment in silence...long enough to allow the reality of how much we have truly come to love them sink in. "I do too Sarah...I do too."

No comments: