Saturday, April 5, 2008

Looks like we'll be walking...

While there are hundreds of reasons why I love my job...tonight her name was Ebony. Ebony has been walking a tightrope since I met her. Literally I have watched as she has been pulled to both sides. Tempted by drinking and parties and guys...flirting on the edge of the rope...but somehow remaining centered enough so far to prevent from falling. We had to ask her to take a break from Teen Staff awhile back. We encouraged her to evaluate her priorities...and take some time to herself...away from her responsibilities at CF. She still attended youth group, but no longer worked it. It was a hard balance for us to know how much time to give her on her own, when to intervene, etc. Chris (Teen Director) and I both agreed that we thought it was time to invite her back. Tonight I picked her up from her track meet and over pasta and calzones...gave her our proposal. Show us you are serious about walking the line...and we'll walk with you. She agreed to rearrange her schedule to make time for church, attend a small group Bible study with me and re-commit her life to being a good peer leader.

Looks like we'll be walking. :)

Ebony recently performed the lead part in a drama for our fundraising banquet. I share with you a video, which inspired the drama. As soon as I have the footage from the banquet, perhaps I will replace this version with a copy of our teen’s performance vs. the inspiration for it. They did a phenomenal job and received a standing ovation for the performance. Leaving not a dry eye in the place as the drama truly encapsulated the line our teens walk...the line we have all walked…and the saving grace it’s ok to fall into...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cried when i read that! amazing im so happy!

christina

Anonymous said...

Brandy,

I am so impressed with the video, I am so very proud of you and what you are doing. I love your loads, Janet

Brandy said...

Thanks Janet - you're support and encouragement is always a genuine blessing! :)