Thursday, April 17, 2008

True Reconciliation

Last night as I was preparing to leave the youth center, my cell phone rang, and it was the Moline Children's Director on the other end. "You know that shooting that occurred in East Moline...one of the girls in my small group witnessed it. She's extremely upset and just called me." A few moments later I walked into Chris's office and he had the article pulled up on his computer...talking to the Moline Teen Director..."Brandy he used to go the the Moline Youth Center and volunteer all the time as a teen." Talk about hitting home.

But truthfully I did not take the time to process the reality of it all until I was sitting in a staff meeting this afternoon. Our Executive Director had been called by a local news station requesting a special interview, "one which paints a positive twist on the kid involved who was killed." He seeked our advice on how he should handle it or if he should give the interview at all.

The debate...the picture had been painted...the 21 year old had a long rap sheet and allegedly had shot a police officer before being gunned down and killed. A guy that clearly deserves no mercy right? Well that's the easy conclusion to draw...and many already have. Of course there is the police officer who was shot to consider and his safety and well-being while in service to the community. I'm not here to debate the topic or to defend the 21 year old's actions...but instead only to share my heartbreak that won't release me.

As I read the newspaper article today...in my mind it wasn't about this East Moline young man. In my mind...it was one of my kids...who grew up and fell away. It was one of my kids...who I love with everything in me...who spend Sundays with me in church...and lunch at my house...who greet me with open arms on any street corner...with plenty of hugs to share. Yes...in my mind...I thought...what if...what if it's ever one of my kids someday?

What the CF staff remembers is the 14 year old boy that used to volunteer religiously at the Moline Youth Center...with a big smile no one could forget and potential to conquer the world. What the CF staff will never forget...is the one we lost...the one who fell away.

There is much community controversy in making a positive public statement about a guy that allegedly shot a police officer. Again, I'm not here to defend the point. I'm not sure if the interview was even made or what was said...but I hope somehow...somewhere...in someone's heart...they'll remember that 14 year old kid.

Situations such as these often further stimulate segregation in the community. Us vs. Them - Community vs. Law Enforcement - Our neighborhood vs. Their neighborhood - Black vs. White - Our kind vs. Their kind. And what comes to the forefront of my mind...is the desperate need...for true reconciliation...

I share with you part of the CCDA philosophy:

The question is: Can a gospel that reconciles people to God without reconciling people to people be the true gospel of Jesus Christ? A person's love for Christ should break down every racial, ethnic and economic barrier. As Christians come together to solve the problems of their community, the great challenge is to partner and witness together across these barriers in order to demonstrate our oneness in Christ. Christian Community Development recognizes that the task of loving the poor is shared by the entire body of Christ, black, white, brown, and yellow; rich and poor; urban and suburban; educated and uneducated. While the Bible transcends culture and race, the church is still having a hard time with living out the reality of our unity in Christ. Christian Community Development is intentional about reconciliation and works hard to bring people of all races and cultures into the one worshipping body of Christ. This comes not so much through a program but through a commitment to living together in the same neighborhood. The power of authentic reconciliation between us and God, and between people of every culture and race is an essential component of effective ministry in our hurting world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At 14 he had a chance. CF and Jesus gave him a chance. At 21 he had taken the wide path rather than the narrow one. Why is that is what you want to know?

1 Peter 5:8-9:

"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings."

This young man got devoured by the world via the devil. CF can help steer youth onto the narrow path and help keep them there for a time, only faith and right decisions will keep them there.

It's a sad world we live in with temptation seemingly at every turn. Someone surely mourns this loss, but many others are surely dissapointed and discouraged in his actions. CF can do much and must do so.

Bob M

Brandy said...

Thanks Bob. I know we can't take responsibility for the actions made by the kids...we can only show them the best way we know how...while we have them under our care. Just heartbreaking to work through...

Thanks for your comment - helps put things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.