Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Lauren...the Warrior King

This past weekend a few teens and I had the opportunity to serve in the neighborhood where I live. I live in a historical district where beautifully restored homes are scattered amidst the decrepit. Each year the Broadway District pulls the community together for a Great Unveiling, where volunteers tear the siding off of old homes that have been purchased for restoration.

With the promise of free doughnuts and coffee, I showed up with 6 teens in tote. Let the demolition begin! It was an amazing day and the teens worked with a dedication I have rarely seen. Perhaps my proudest moments was when I announced breakfast had arrived and NOT ONE of them stopped working to eat. (This is a first!...of course they eventually did. ;) I had to leave mid-morning for some prior commitments, but the teens stayed behind to rip, tear and pull the siding down. When I came back to pick them up...compliments flooded the air..."Be careful, if the word gets out on the street about this crew...they'll have work lined up all summer... they are hard workers...they did an amazing job - they can come back anytime."


The YouthHope Job Squad was born! There are several other opportunities in our community to serve. I'm thinking about marketing this team of teens as a volunteer crew around the community. Services for free - donations welcome! Would be an excellent fundraiser for saving for that mission trip the teens dream of taking one day. Looks like I have work to do!

For many looking at this house, it was nothing but an eye sore, but for the new owners, they see the hidden treasure within. While talking to a neighbor, he introduced himself as "Lauren"..."yeah I never really liked my name growing up because it was feminine...but recently I found out that it means "Warrior King" and I've gained a new appreciation for it." This coming from a ~60 year old man, just made me smile. His whole life spent thinking of himself in one way...only to be repainted years later in another.

I must share from my morning devotional which referred to the Water Garden painting by Claude Monet. If studied long enough it may surprise many that the major part of the canvas is covered in dark shades of black, blue and green. These drab colors serve to highlight the beautiful floral pastels. Monet painted the dark tones to enhance the lighter.

From Weathering the Showers devotion by Beth Donigan Seversen...


"Monet's painting has much to remind me about the water garden of my life, and of its Artist. First, it encourages me that there is a purpose and design to my life, and that perhaps, at times, I focus too exclusively on the darker portions of my painting.

It also reminds me that my Lord, the Artist of my life, has intentionally allowed the blue, green, and, yes, sometimes even the gray and black hues to be brushed on my canvas for a reason. God uses these shadows to make my life richer. Often, when I look back on difficulties, such as my father's death, times when I have been misunderstood by friends or my expectations have been dashed, I can see, now, his handiwork creating a brilliance of color and beauty from pain and suffering. The Artist uses a multitude of techniques in our lives to help us become the people he created us to be."

Maybe...we are all Warrior Kings...waiting to be restored.

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power forever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 5:10-11

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A tremendous thanks to all that volunteered for the "Great Unveiling" project. Your participation was greatly apreciated.

Bryan Pattschull
816 20th St